Thursday, May 22, 2008

go home!

I have this annoying friend (don't we all!)

We met in college, though we went to the same high school and lived in the same county growing up. I have for some reason moved back to my county, but she stayed where we went to college. If I'd had my choice all those years ago I'd still be there too but I followed my husband. I'm happy here though. It's a town near where I grew up and so it's close enough to be familiar but distant enough that it's not TOO familiar. It's a nice place to live and while not big-city it's not totally inconvenient either. There are some services I travel for, but OVERALL it is a great place to be, and I'm happy.

Friend has not lived in town since she graduated hs at 18 and moved to college town. She has NO idea what it's like to live here as an adult, or what it's like to live here NOW. A lot has changed since we were in high school. We are on a board together, thats' the only time I ever "talk" to her now. Quotes because I really can't be bothered right now. Every time I mention my town, or something I did locally, she'll come out of the woodwork and post about what a stupid hick town I live in, what did I EXPECT, etc, and always ends her tirade with "I can say that because I used to live there, LOL!!!!!!" (obvious disdain for anyone who LOL!!!!!! at themselves aside!)

This just IRRITATES me! We may not be big city but it's not my observation that we are all hicks either. I mean W-mart has a way of bringing all the hicks out of the woodwork but in GENERAL? Not seeing it. W-mart would bring the hicks out of the woodwork in LA or NYC too.

So why can't she shut up? Here is my internet plea for her to shut the eff up already.

2 comments:

Constance the Eleventy-fifth said...

I know how you feel - I have a cousin who has moved away from our hometown (and I moved back) and she always makes snotty remarks about it. it pisses me off. She's entitled to her opinion, but since I CHOOSE to live there, I feel like she is insulting me.

Constance the Super said...

I think "not cool" is not even close to mean enough for what I think about this. I am a city mouse and I used to be a suburban mouse and hated it, but I try not to constantly say how stupid my suburban mice-friends are or even how much I hate being in the suburbs (except for when I visit, when I am happy). Well, I guess I said "friend" there didn't I? Seriously, what is her damage that she only comments to say something nasty? Sigh. You're a better person than she is and since she'd never lower herself to come to your town, you never have to see her!